Healthy gums are an important part of your oral health and attractive smile. But if you have a gummy smile, your teeth appear too short because your gums cover too much of the teeth, or too much of your gumline is exposed when you smile. Females are more likely than males to have a gummy smile, and it may be a result of any of the following conditions:
- If your gums do not recede naturally when your permanent teeth begin to emerge, your teeth may appear too short.
- If you breathe through your mouth, your gums may become too dry, which may lead to additional problems with your gums.
- If you have grind your teeth (bruxism), the continued wearing down of your teeth may make your normal gumline appear out of balance.
- If your lip line is higher than usual, your natural smile may expose too much of your gumline.
- If you have braces on your teeth, your gums may become irritated by the orthodontic materials.
Keep in mind that a gummy smile may not always be viewed as a problem, and your gumline may recede naturally over time. When deciding whether you should have a gum lift, you should consider whether the procedure will enhance both the attractiveness and the healthiness of your smile.
Gum lifts and crown lengthening
To improve a gummy smile, we may shape your gum and bone tissue so that more of your teeth shows or to make the gumline more even. This procedure is called a gum lift or crown lengthening.
Crown lengthening also helps show more of the tooth so that restorations can be made more easily. For example, crown lengthening may be a good solution when:
- Teeth are extremely decayed or broken below the gumline.
- There is not enough tooth structure remaining to accommodate a crown or bridge.
Crown lengthening procedures have been around for decades as an effective measure for treating gum disease and helping make restorations easier. However, in the past 3 to 5 years, there has been a dramatic increase in requests for cosmetic reasons. Typically about 80 to 90 percent of the gum lifts today also are done with porcelain veneers. If you have a gummy smile, a gum lift may be a good option for you.
A gum lift is a simple procedure that typically consists of:
- Numbing the area and making sure you are comfortable
- Making small incisions into the gums and moving them away from the tooth
- Reshaping the bone and gum tissue to make a more even and natural appearance
- Placing a few stitches
Usually the entire procedure can be completed during a single visit to our office. Within a few weeks your gums should heal completely.
After Care in Home
If you are considering gum lifts or crown lengthening to improve your smile, remember that the solution does not end with the procedure in our office. Your role in healing and maintaining your gums and teeth afterward is vital for success. This includes:
- Follow our homecare instructions to promote healing and to prevent receding gums or other signs of periodontal disease.
- Maintain daily oral hygiene procedures, including brushing and flossing, to ensure the ongoing health and attractiveness of your teeth and gums.
- Do not use tobacco because it can affect the healing process and the future health of your teeth and gums.
For more information
If you would like to learn more about gum lifts, and how it can be done as simple as in 1 hour with a proper planing in Istanbul – Turkey, please call our office (+90 530 522 9179) or e-mail us at email@example.com