Smile aesthetics starts with design. It is necessary to determine what the person needs, that is, to analyze it. The analysis criteria, which would be ideal in the hands of a professional team, are determined according to the patient’s personal characteristics.
Design in dentistry is actually mathematical proportions. These rules are necessary for the design to be ideal.
Sometimes it may not be possible to apply it perfectly for every person.
Aesthetic dentistry is done within certain limits;
- How is the relationship between the jaws?
- Are the person’s facial proportions close to ideal? What are the deviations?
- Does the condition of the lip, pushing in or out, rise too high when smiling? So is he labile or does he have a low or not very mobile musculature?
- How is the structure of the gums? How is the colour visible? Will colour correction (Depigmentation) be required?
- The structure of the jawbone?
- Crowding in the teeth, for example, is there a need for orthodontic treatment?
- Is there wear on the teeth? Does the patient have a habit of clenching their teeth? How much substance has been lost in the teeth?
- Any problems with the joints? What is the condition of chewing muscles and other muscles around the mouth?
Dental aesthetics is not about cutting teeth and making zirconium crowns!!!
Zirconium veneers are also used in aesthetic dentistry today. In general, it is done if the loss of substance in the teeth of the person is very high, for example, if it is a very decayed tooth. However, nowadays, zirconium is also applied to patients who do not like the colour of their teeth. In these applications, which are usually performed at the patient’s request, the teeth will need to be cut. If the ideal cutting rules are followed and the crowns fit the teeth well, there is no problem. However, zirconium crowns, which are made without treating the gums quickly, cause great problems in the future when the relationship between the jaws and closing controls are not fully performed. Any careless treatment is troublesome for dental treatments. Porcelain laminates without cutting the teeth are also a big problem if they are applied to a mouth whose gums are not healthy.
Porcelain laminates are ideal if the tooth structure is solid.
If there is no indication for veneering on the teeth, healthier results are obtained with porcelain laminates aesthetically, because porcelain laminates are very healthy in terms of maintaining integrity since all the surfaces of the teeth are not cut and only the front surface of the teeth is processed. However, as I said, the patient’s oral hygiene should be ideal here.
As a result, a smile design will be made in dental aesthetics and it will be decided which materials and techniques will be used. Ideal techniques always require more care and detail.
Dr Betul Yurteri/ DENTART/ www.dentart.com.tr